Menu Plan Monday: After the Superbowl
Well, this past weekend was a tossup. I had a great time at the first #LBCTweetup of 2013, but then ... the 49ers crushed my heart.
|You are expected to tweet at a tweet-up|
and won't be shunned by others for doing so.
And so ... a bonus recipe.
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye.
Four and twenty blackbirds,
Baked in a pie.
Black Bird Pie
- 3 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup very warm water (almost hot)
- 24 black birds well covered with water
- 3/4 lb. sausage (link) - optional
- Mix little biscuit dough. Knead 'til tough and dry - roll with rolling pin 'til very thin and cut into 2-inch strips.
- Cook until tender (at least 2 hours or 1 hour for chicken). Salt and pepper to taste. When black birds are tender, keep broth at a rolling boil and drop in pastry - piece by piece, shaking pot constantly to keep pastry pieces separated. When all is in pot, place cover on and let cook for approximately 10 minutes. Let set for about ten more minutes. Then eat.
- If you are unfamiliar with making pastry from scratch, you can substitute canned biscuits (roll individually with rolling pin). Or buy frozen pastry from bakery. If you use canned biscuits, let set for one-half hour and roll or flatten again to thinness desired.
Monday: Primal Jambalaya - my daughter enjoyed it so much she wants a repeat. That's a major win in my book.
Tuesday: Blackened Chicken with Avocado Sauce and Zoodles - I need to buy a food processor and julienne tool this week. The blender didn't do so well on the cauliflower "rice".
Wednesday: White Bean and Sausage Saute - for some reason I didn't make it two weeks ago and I still have all of the ingredients. By the way, some of the recipes lasted for days, hence the repeat. I had plenty of leftovers.
Thursday: Roast or Caribbean Jerk chicken with sweet potatoes. (Have I mentioned how much I LOVE that I can eat all the sweet potatoes that I want? I'm down to just a little butter and cinnamon, dropped the brown sugar when I make them now).