Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
|A bowl of chicken and dumplings with vegetables served at Nicoll's Cafe, 255 Main Street, Pine City, Minnesota (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours
Total time: 8 hours, 25 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs chicken, chopped into 1" cubes
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 14 oz low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 9 oz frozen peas
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter (or 1 cup half & half instead of milk+butter)
- In a 4-6 quart slow-cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, mushrooms, and chicken. Mix broth and Italian seasoning and pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Cover crockpot and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until chicken is thoroughly cooked and no longer pink in center. Add peas and cover again. Cook on HIGH for 20 minutes until peas are hot.
- In small bowl, combine flours, baking powder, salt, milk, and melted butter and mix just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop dumplings by tablespoons onto hot, bubbling chicken stew in crockpot. Cover and cook on HIGH for 20-25 minutes until dumplings are cooked through, fluffy, and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.