5-Layer Flat Belly Dessert
This was featured on the Dr. Oz show. We actually skipped the flax and walnuts mixture when I made it, but I will add it the next time. We thought it would last a few days, but my teenage son ate about half of it when he got home. I only got one slice! The only one who didn't like it was my daughter, apparently she doesn't like coconut!
Nice to know that I can replace egg and oil with Greek yogurt (or probably any yogurt).
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 12 servings give or take
- 1 box devil's food cake mix
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups fat-free ricotta
- 1 cup coconut milk, well stirred
- 1 cup shredded, toasted sweetened coconut
- 4 tablespoons agave syrup
- 1/2 cup toasted oats
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds or flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts, lightly toasted if desired
- 4 cups total any combination of fresh well-washed berries (strawberries, hulled and halved, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, for shaving
Note: Ingredient quantities depend on size of pan. This recipe is for a 9-inch trifle dessert pan
- Preheat oven to 350° F degrees.
- Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray or butter and lightly flour each pan.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, combine the cake mix, yogurt, and water and mix well until no lumps remain. Divide batter evenly into prepared cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake emerges cleanly. Allow the cakes to cool completely in the pans.
- While the cake is cooking, mix the ricotta, coconut milk, shredded coconut and agave. With a rubber spatula, gently fold them together to fully combine.
- In a large resealable bag, combine the oats, flax seeds and walnuts. Seal the bag and shake well.
- Layer 1: Cake
- Layer 2: "Whipped" topping
- Layer 3: Walnuts, flax, oat mixture
- Layer 4: Berries
- Remove the cake from its pan and place in desired glass dish with high sides (or on a plate). Evenly spread half of the whipped topping mixture on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle half of the mixture evenly over the ricotta, then top with the berries to cover the whole cake surface.
- Repeat all 4 layers with the other half of the ingredients. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the bittersweet chocolate decoratively over the top (Layer 5). Serve dessert by scooping portions of the cake and all its layers into shallow bowls.